1. Be Realistic – where do they live? how old are they? what era is the book set in? what do they look like?
2. Keep It Simple – the harder to pronounciate, the easier to lose attention of your reader
3. Stick to Your Genre – go ahead and be creative for Sci-Fi/Fantasy, but the name must make sense within context
4. Avoid Famous Names – Elvis, Cher, Houdini and please never Adolf
5. Avoid Name Similarities – most readers don’t look past the first letter of each name (keep that in mind!)
6. The Root of the Name – check the meaning of each name and make sure it goes well with your character
7. Be Bold – if you are really stuck, choose people you know. Beware the backlash!